Monday, March 05, 2007

Right Understanding....

What is Right Understanding of the 3 Facts!

The Blessed Buddha once said:
It is impossible, Bhikkhu and Friends, and cannot ever happen,
that one possessed of right understanding should ever regard
any phenomenon as really permanent ... or
any phenomenon as real happiness ... or
any state as a real self...
But it is quite possible that the ordinary worldling may indeed
have, entertain & act out such a naive and distorted belief...

Source:
Numerical Discourses of the Buddha. Anguttara Nikaya AN 15:1-3

This is a verse that i've picked up from an article that i've been through lately... I love Buddhism as a philosophy a way of life... it has taught me alot and i've added alot of things from his teachings to my life... maybe more than I did from anything else... but certain things (alot of things infact) I find EXTREMELY hard to fathom... like these small sentenses... in a very relative world how can anyone say anything???

Not that I don't understnad it... or maybe not see what it really is.... but when I try an go to think of it... its a VAS suject to think and work on...

2 comments:

Darwin said...

From what I gather, it's basically saying that if you truly understand life, then you would realise that nothing is permanent, i.e. if you feel happy now, you're guaranteed of feeling sad sooner or later, and vice versa. Everything changes and nothing is permanent. I thought it was quite self-explanatory.

Lady divine said...

yea...i agree..it is quite difficult to understand....

but this verse wasn't that tough.... what i understood is exactly what Darwin said..:-)

it's difficult to practise the way of life..but i guess one step at a time will help to reach a higher standard in achieving the ultimate goal..